The most comprehensive Salish language dictionary to date will be available soon! After 10 years of research and documentation Tachini Pete is releasing his notes and thoughts on the Salish language.
This dictionary is dedicated to all the elders past and present. It is through their diligence and love of the Salish language that we are able to present their words. Much of this edition is derived from audio and video recordings of elders. Much credit and thanks to the late Patrick Pierre, the late Louie Adams, Johnny Arlee, and Stephen SmallSalmon.
This edition includes:
- A reintroduction and incorporation of the pharyngeal consonants (ʕ, ʕ̓, ʕʷ, ʕ̓ʷ) along with refined spellings of associated words.
- 40,000+ entries and translations.
- 1300+ pages.
- Nearly 700 roots words identified.
- 140+ lexical suffixes.
- The introduction of 30 lexemic suffixes.
- A refined section on Salish Grammar with:
- Sound formation
- Alphabet (43 characters)
- Word formation and associated rules
- Morphological rules
- Sentence formation and associated rules
- Intransitive sentences
- Transitive sentences
- Ditransitive sentences
- Sound formation
This version will be released as an ebook.
Your purchase will support continued research and documentation of the language. Tachini dedicates as much time as possible to this work.
Proceeds from the sale of this book will support the publication of a printed version, tentatively planned for release during the next Annual Arlee Celebration.
In addition proceeds will support the development of a dynamic online Salish dictionary and other features of Salish.
The first edition was a 60+ page self-published book.
This edition was a 160+ page book published by Salish Kootenai College Press.
This edition was a 800+ page book published by Salish Kootenai College Press.